Detectives from the 1st District Investigative Section are investigating three cases of credit card theft that occurred on October 5 and 6 at a shopping center on Rockville Pike. Investigators are asking for the public’s help to identify a male and female suspect who were captured on store surveillance fraudulently using one of the victim’s stolen credit cards.
Investigators have determined that two of the victims had their credit card(s) stolen from their purse while shopping at stores in a Rockville Pike shopping center. Detectives believe that during these thefts, the following scenario ensued: While a victim was shopping, the suspect gained access to the victim’s unattended purse (most likely the purse was placed in a shopping cart), found the victim’s wallet, and then removed credit card(s) from the victim’s wallet. The suspect then placed the wallet back in the victim’s purse undetected. The third victim had her credit cards stolen from a purse that she had left in her vehicle in the shopping center’s parking lot.
The victims’ credit cards were then used fraudulently in various stores throughout the county.
Detectives obtained video surveillance of a male and female suspect using one of the victim’s stolen credit cards and are asking for the public’s help to identify the suspects.
Anyone with information about these suspects is asked to call the 1st District Investigative Section at 240-773-6084 or call Crime Solvers of Montgomery County toll-free at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477). Crime Solvers will pay a cash reward of up to $10,000 for information provided to them that leads to the arrest and/or indictment of this suspect. Tipsters will remain anonymous.
As the holiday shopping season begins, the Department reminds residents to keep safe while shopping by following these tips:
- Carry a wallet in an inside coat or front pants pocket.
- Carry your closed purse as close to your body as possible.
- Do not become distracted by your shopping. Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Park in well-lighted parking lots and park as close to the mall or store as possible.
- Lock your car doors and keep packages hidden in the trunk or under the seats of your vehicle.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash with you – pay with checks or credit cards when possible.
- Try to avoid carrying a large number of bags. Make trips back to your vehicle to store packages in the trunk as you continue to shop.